29 July, 2016

Weeks of Cultural Learning

These past two week have gone by quite quickly. They have also been two exciting weeks involving experiencing a Comorian Wedding, learning about my site, and having my site visit.

During the week it has been quite chill, with going to training every day and coming home just to relax for the evening. However, beginning Wednesday evening myself and other volunteers have been busy attending different events for a Grand Marriage (Wedding), here in Mvouni.

Unlike in the USA where a traditional wedding is one day long has normally only contains a ceremony and a reception, here Grand Marriages are normally a 4-5 day ordeal. Wednesday night kicked it off with a Henna party. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the get together. From what I understand happened at the henna event was that the bride came and received henna. After she danced in the group of people everyone sat down and received some food. When the food ended everyone got up and started to form a line, which they all danced in towards the bride. While they were dancing towards the bride each person has a little gift, majority was monetary, and when they arrived to the bride they handed the gift to her. Unfortunately, since the electricity went out they were unable to finish the party. But from what I was told after everyone gave their gifts there was a dance session with henna.
The following day was a celebration of sorts for the soon to be husband, with that being said I am not quite sure what that entailed. Friday was another celebration for the husband, where the men formed a circle and, from what is understood, performed a cane dance. Saturday was another celebration, which was basically a huge dance party. On Saturday the bride was not able to attend, as traditionally she is waiting until Sunday to continue the celebrations. The women of the village line up with money in hands and they dance around and give money to the people singing and someone else (I have yet to figure out). The money that is collected will be brought to the bride the following day by the husbands’ family. That brings us to Sunday, the final celebration. The day starts with the grooms’ family leaving from their house and dancing to the brides, where they hand the money collected over to her family. After which there is a sort of reception held by the bride, where the women of the village dance around to greet the bride and celebrate the marriage.

Although I am still not quite certain on all aspects of the wedding it if a very interesting and fun experience. It also blows our traditional weddings out of the water, as they are all day events that occur within the 4-5 days of events.

In other news not much other occurred during the week. When the weekend came some other volunteers and I went to Moroni for the afternoon. As well as Sunday we held our first Club America (English Club) in the village. It was a great success. I taught an intermediate class as well as a professional class.

The following week brought may anticipated events and some new adventures. Monday morning began our first model school experience, which was luckily just an observation day. Later in the afternoon we learned our sites and schools where we would be teaching. I will be teaching in Singani, which is a village on the road to the south of the island. It turns out that my village is also considered the Pompeii of Grand Comoros, though the village was destroyed no lives were lost, as far as my understanding. The following day I experienced teaching at an English school, luckily with a co-volunteer. It turned out really well and helped to begin preparations for when I have to teach by myself. Wednesday was a bite more nerve recking as I had to teach all by myself for 2 hours straight, even with the minor hiccup of not having enough material to teach over, it still turned out to be a good learning experience.

Thursday began with meeting my counterpart from my village, as well as having a quick workshop before heading off for a weekend at site. Once I arrived to site things moved slowly, but also quickly. My site is about a 40 minute taxi ride from the capital, so not too bad of a journey. Once at site I was greeted by what would be considered my host family, although they live behind me. After greeting several people in the village, whose names of course I do not remember, I headed off to bed for an early start the next day meeting the village and taking a tour of the region. Friday I woke up bright and early to have a great breakfast of bread with homemade pineapple jam, made by one the villagers. Afterwards I went on a cruise through the 5 different villages within the region of Hambu. Upon returning back to my village it was time to go and great the elders of the village. It turned out a success, they said they were very happy to have me and that I was welcome to the village. Then it was time for me to go visit the school that I will e teaching at for the next 2 years, inshallah (If God Wishes). I also was able to meet with my director and begin talking about my school schedule and all the logistics to me teaching at the college (middle school equivalent). We also managed to take a trip to the village next door where I met with some of the elders to introduce me and all. The evening was spent just hanging with the host family and met some more people from the village.  Saturday was an adventure with several different family members where we went to the north of the island for a beach day. During the day we grilled food, played soccer, and danced. It was a super fun time and was a great experience of a Comorian BBQ. Sunday was just a more relaxed day and involved repacking to return back to my village im staying in during training. All in all the site visit was a success and I am looking forward to moving back there in a month to begin my service. 


Within the next few weeks there are many different planned events, lets see how they play out. 

Until Next Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment